Submissions are now open for the 4th issue of Sonorus: Feminist Perspectives on Harry Potter!
Sonorus is a compzine, edited by three UK-based Harry Potter fans and feminists. We can accept:
- Opinion pieces
- Fan fiction (on a related theme)
- Fan art (on a related theme)
Some prompts to consider:
Female role models in the series
Feminism/ social justice in the Wizarding World
Your favourite character – can they be seen as a ‘feminist’ character?
Gender roles in the series
The differences between the books and the films and their impact on gender
Race in the series
Fan fiction – the interpretation of characters by fans and how gender is affected by this
Gender and careers in the series
LGBT issues in the series/the fandom
Women in sport in the series
Femininity/masculinity in the series
Gender in relation to good vs. evil
Motherhood in the series
Relationships in the series and in fan fiction
J.K. Rowling as a female writer
This list is by no means exhaustive, and we are interested in any submissions related to gender in the Harry Potter books, film and fandom, and connected to the series as a cultural phenomenon! Due to not wanting to replicate ideas we will only be able to print articles which are different from those featured in previous issues (a list of pieces from issue one is now available on the shop page). All other submissions (as long as they are not discriminatory in any way) will be printed in this or a future issue of the zine.
We welcome submissions from people of any gender, and from new writers as well as people who submitted to previous issues.
Please send submissions and questions to email@example.com. The deadline for submissions is 1st September 2016.
We look forward to hearing from you!
Team Sonorus will be tabling at this month’s Weirdo Zine Fest, taking place on Sunday 31 January, 1 – 8pm in DIY Space for London (96-108 Ormside Street, SE15 1TF), where we will be selling all 3 issues of Sonorus, as well as zines created by the editors Cath and Kirsty. Hope to see you there! :)
WEIRDO ZINE FEST is a new zine fair privileging radical and marginalised voices. It’s happening at DIY space for London.
Preference for tables will be given to women, queers, POC, trans, genderqueer, non-binary, intersex, disabled, working class and otherwise marginalised folks.
TIMETABLE FOR THE DAY:
1-5:30: ZINE FAIR (c. 30 tables full of radical and important DIY publications)
5:30-6:15: SUPER EXCITING PANEL DISCUSSION (details tbc soon!)
6:15-8:00: Informal social with weirdo zine readings (anyone welcome to read, sign up on the day!).
Also open on the day: Joey’s Kitchen for delicious vegan foods/non-booze drinks.
We are hosting this at DIY space for London. Accessibility information is here: http://diyspaceforlondon.org/about/ (wheelchair accessible venue and toilets, gender neutral toilets). No sexism/racism/homophobia/ableism/transphobia/fatphobia/classism/SWERFs etc will be tolerated.
If you’re staying for the post-6pm activities (when the bar opens!), you’ll need to be a member of DIY space (or a guest of a member). Membership costs £2 and takes 48 hours to take effect. Join and pay atdiyspaceforlondon.org.
More info and RSVP at the Facebook event page: https://www.facebook.com/events/865940280157674/.
If you’re thinking of buying Sonorus as a Christmas gift, here are the deadlines for orders to be guaranteed arrival in time for Christmas Day!
Friday 18 December – UK
Thursday 3 December – Africa and Middle East.
Saturday 5 December – Asia, Cyprus, Far East, Japan, Eastern Europe (ex. Poland, Czech Republic and Slovakia).
Monday 7 December – Caribbean, Central & South America.
Wednesday 9 December – Greece, Australia, New Zealand.
Thursday 10 December – HM Forces Mail to Static BFPO’s
Saturday 12 December – Czech Republic, Germany, Italy and Poland, Canada, Finland, Sweden and USA.
Tuesday 15 December – Austria, Iceland, Ireland, Portugal and Spain.
Wednesday 16 December – France.
Thursday 17 December – Belgium, Denmark, Luxemburg, Netherlands, Norway, Slovakia and Switzerland.
Also please note that we will be away on our holidays on Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, and Boxing Day (24th – 26th December), so any orders placed on these dates will be posted on the 27th December.
Team Sonorus x
The winners of our Time Turner +Ravenclaw Tee giveaway are:
Thank you to everyone who ordered zines and submitted articles this autumn – we hope to run another giveaway soon, so keep your eyes peeled!
Team Sonorus x
Sonorus: Feminist Perspectives on Harry Potter #3 is OUT NOW!
Issue 3 includes:
- Wit beyond Measure is Bought with Man’s Treasure
- Five Badass HP Women I’d Like to go on a Date With
- Five Femslash Pairings There Should Be More Of
- Veela, Gender and Sexuality
- On Balls
- Halfway Down the Stairs: Gender and the Hogwarts Dormitories
- Why I (sort of) Hate Ginny Weasley
- Seven Scenarios in which it might be Alright to Ship Dolores Umbridge with Minerva McGonagall
- Squibs and Disability in the Wizarding World
- Infatuation and the Female Fool in Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
- Pureblood Laws, Muggle Relations and Social Change in Post-Voldemort Britain
- Teaching Potter
UK orders: £2.00 + £1.50 postage (11 sickles 27 knuts)
International orders: £2.00 + £4.50 postage (1 galleon 5 sickles 5 knuts)
Due to popular demand, we’ve extended the Ravenclaw tee and Time Turner giveaway until Monday 12th October!
If you buy a copy of Sonorus beween now and 12th October, you get 1 entry; if you submit something to the next issue of Sonorus, you get 2 entries. Good luck!
Team Sonorus x
To celebrate James S Potter’s first week at Hogwarts, the Sonorus Team are running a giveaway
throughout the month of September until Monday 12th October!
Every zine order or article submission will get placed in a prize draw to win one of these 2 excellent prizes (1 entry for zine orders, 2 entries for article submissions):
- Hermione’s golden time turner necklace
Features the quote “I mark the hours, every one, Nor have I yet outrun the Sun. My use and value, unto you, Are gauged by what you have to do.”stamped onto the necklace. The Time Turner can be moved around and used like the actual one in the books and movies (unfortunately without the time traveling effect.) The pendant is around 4cm tall and comes on a 55cm golden chain.
- Ravenclaw house sigil grey t shirt
Generous UK size 12 (EU 40, US 8, AUS 12). New with tags, unworn. Sigil on the front, plain on the back. Short roll sleeve.
- Every person who places a shop order between now and 11.59pm in 30th September will have their name put into a prize draw to win one of the two items above.
- Every person who submits an item for issue 3 of Sonorus between now and 11.59pm in 30th September will have their name put into a prize draw TWICE to win one of the two items above (NB: each person only gets for 1 prize).
- In the “special instructions” form on the paypal payment for a shop order, or in the email containing the submission, please write which of the prizes would be your preference. We’ll draw 2 names at random – the first name will get their preferred item, the second name will get the remaining item. If you have no preference, please say “no preference” and the second name drawn will get their preferred item.
- Each person who places a shop order, no matter how many orders, is only eligible for 1 entry.
- Each person who submits an item for Sonorus #3, no matter how many submissions, is only eligible for 2 entries.
- A person who submits an item AND places a shop order will have their name put in THREE times.
Team Sonorus x